Friday, October 05, 2012

Have You Been Grounded Lately?!

I don't ever remember being grounded as a kid - I'm not sure if that indicates a memory issue or if it is just further evidence of the fact that I was (as I have always maintained) a model child. The reality is probably that my parents realized that grounding was more of a punishment for them than it was for any of us :)

I have been thinking a lot lately about the notion of being grounded.

You can
gain ground
cover ground
break ground.

You can ground
 a pilot
a plane
a disobedient child.

You can
hit a ground ball or ground out
use ground forces or engage in a ground attack.

There are
picnic grounds
proving grounds
legal grounds.

I have spent a great deal of time over the past two years
learning how to become grounded.

I learned it at the gym
I learned it on the yoga mat
I learned it in a therapist's office
I learned it during dark days and long nights
I learned it in the bright light of rediscovered
choice
connections
and
courage.

I now know what it feels like to be grounded.
I also know what it feels like when I am not grounded.

Sometimes I am grounded.
Sometimes I am not

and so I continually practice
but more than practicing
it has become a practice

it is how I choose to live my life

on the days when it is easy 
and more importantly
on the days when it is hard.

what grounds you?