Friday, September 15, 2006
Get Out of the Boat!
One of the things I enjoy about my daily drives are the signs in front of many of the churches in our area. They change weekly and are always worth taking a look at. Sometimes they are laugh-out-loud funny other times more serious. A nearby church recently put an old sailboat out in front of their building with a large banner advertising an upcoming sermon series. I love the phrase on the banner and it has given me much to contemplate. It says, "If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat". I think it is a wonderful analogy and reminder. I'm the type of person who wants to make sure that the water really can be walked on - while viewing the water from the safety of the boat. It has really made me think about my willingness to "get out of the boat" - move out of my comfort zone - take a leap of faith or step into the darkness with the faith that the light will follow. I think that this idea applies spiritually but also temporally to many of the things that we think about doing... I'm going to try to make a more conscious effort to "get out of the boat"!







