Friday, January 21, 2011

Something Blue - The Shawl Story


Photos by Camilla Binks - amazing!
Dress by Melissa Blackburn (and Alicia) also amazing!


Anticipating a cold January wedding, Alicia asked if I would make her a lacy shawl that she could wear. She chose ice-blue as the color and I started looking at yarns and patterns. I was excited that she asked - we have joked about knitting or weaving a wedding dress for years. I finally settled on a beautiful lace pattern - just what I love to knit. I had finished about 5 inches when I had the stroke - although physically I recovered quickly I was left unable to concentrate on anything for very long (reading, knitting, everyday normal stuff). When I was able to force myself to knit, I repeatedly made mistakes and I found myself starting over again and again.

About the point where I was ready to give up - I found a simple stitch pattern - the same 3 stitches over and over and over again. I was disappointed that it wouldn't be what I had originally planned - but accepted that at least it was something I could finish and I started over for the last time.

Two things ended up happening. First, about half-way through knitting the shawl - towards the end of December, I realized that the simple 3-stitch pattern was too easy and was becoming boring. I realized that my ability to concentrate was increasing. I have never been so happy to be so bored! Second, as soon as I saw the shawl with the dress I realized that the more complicated pattern I had hoped to knit would have clashed with the lace of the dress - the simple pattern I ended up choosing seemed perfect.


True to form I was binding off and steam pressing the shawl in the hotel the night before the wedding. Some things never change!