Monday, January 28, 2008

We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet


We received a phone call last night telling us of the death of President Hinckley. Although not a surprise - so many different feelings. Earlier in the day I had spent time preparing for seminary. I had planned to talk about Samuel this morning. For once, the fact that I am about a week (or so) behind with regard to the official seminary calendar wasn't a problem. In fact, it was a perfect segue to talk about the life of President Hinckley and our need to truly hear and heed (not just listen to) the prophet. I am grateful for his life of service, faith, and example and his encouragement to always try to do more and to do better.

May our faith shine forth as the sunlight of the morning.
May we walk in obedience to His divine commandments.
May He smile with favor upon us.
And as we go forward, may we bless humanity with an outreach to all,
lifting those who are downtrodden and oppressed,
feeding and clothing the hungry and the needy,
extending love and neighborliness to those about us
who may not be part of this Church.
The Lord has shown us the way.
He has given us His word, His counsel, His guidance, yea, His commandments.
We have done well.
We have much to be grateful for and much to be proud of.
But we can do better, so much better.
Pres. Hinckley