Friday, August 21, 2009

Gunsmoke, Petroglyphs and Ants, Oh My!

Update: Thanks to an ornithologically-inclined younger brother the dead bird has been identified as a female black-headed grosbeak. Thanks Darin! May she rest in peace.


I love it when our schedule is no schedule. One day found us headed towards Kanab and the old Gunsmoke set located east of town. I am starting to think I can justify a better camera than my trusty digital point-and-shoot since so many of the things I want to take pictures of are on private property. Either a new camera or a reckless desire to jump the fence so that I can get closer. There are some nice petroglyphs (yes, located on private property) not too far from the Gunsmoke set. There is also what I think might be Southern Utah's first billboard advertising Jensen and Brooksby Store and Garage.


We found some beautiful fields of sunflowers on our way to the Gunsmoke set and the petroglyphs - so pretty - they would make a beautiful background for photographs. Again the problem of private property. Dinner at the Rewind Diner (we ate with Betty Boop) - yummy! My burger had a creamy dill relish - unbelievable! Cara fell in love with hamburgers and sampled Apple Beer.


Sadly, a bird flew into one of our picture windows on the deck. I was hoping that it was stunned but several hours later there were several signs that it was indeed dead (I will not mention any of the specific signs - but trust me, it was dead). I scooped it into a dust bin and after a prayer in my heart I released its spirit to the great bird heaven in the sky and its mortal remains to the gulch behind the cabin.


I have been trying to figure out what kind of bird it was - a sparrow of some sort perhaps, but have been unable to identify it. Any birders?