Pulling Together: A long pull, a strong pull, and a pull all together” - Joseph SmithOur Stake Youth Conference this year was a pioneer trek. I always describe our stake trek as being "trek on steroids". They try to give the youth a very real pioneer experience - as realistic as they possibly can. I have my own issues with this type of youth conference -not concerns that I am going to necessarily elucidate on my blog - (what is a 12 letter word that starts with M?).
I put some of my personal feelings aside, focused on the positives, remembered with gratitude my own pioneer heritage and helped her pack. We fed all of the youth a "hearty breakfast" that morning at our home - little did they realize it would be the last thing that they ate until 12:30 am (yes, am) technically the next day when they received a roll and broth.
In her own words, "It was great!
She was blessed to be put into a great family group with a wonderful Ma and Pa. I was able to provide transportation home and was part of the group of parents that met them at the end of the trail. I was surprised/overwhelmed by the emotional response I experienced as I saw them coming down the road - they were accompanied by a young man playing "Come, Come, Ye Saints" on the bagpipes - I was teary eyed.
In her own words, "It was great!
She was blessed to be put into a great family group with a wonderful Ma and Pa. I was able to provide transportation home and was part of the group of parents that met them at the end of the trail. I was surprised/overwhelmed by the emotional response I experienced as I saw them coming down the road - they were accompanied by a young man playing "Come, Come, Ye Saints" on the bagpipes - I was teary eyed.
Grateful for a sweet daughter, grateful for willing adults who shepherded our youth through this experience, grateful again for my own pioneer heritage and the blessings that have come into my life because of the hardships they were willing to experience.
This Slideshow (she is in the LaRue Family - close up of her feet #77) gives you a nice overview of the entire experience. Also this to see what they were/were not allowed to bring.







