Tuesday, August 18, 2009

If I could Hi(k)e to Kolob...

Kolob Canyon is a beautiful somewhat hidden treasure that is part of Zion National Park. We highly recommend it if traveling between St. George and Cedar City.


No crowds, no shuttle and amazing scenery...





Remember that one summer when both C and E packed the same pair of tennis shoes to wear on the hikes?

After countless arguments, I think this is what happened...

E put a pair in the shared suitcase (for herself) and C saw them and thought "How thoughtful of E to put my shoes in the suitcase." Needless to say there were fireworks when E came down wearing them on the day we planned to Hi(k)e to Kolob.

Yikes! Seems funnier now than it did then. Note the sad C face...



We had few options:
1) one person wear them and the other go without
2) each person wear one shoe
3) no one wears them and you hike in flip flops

We (meaning I) settled on #3 - (it wasn't a strenuous hike - although shoes would have been both recommended and preferred). I had to smile/laugh to myself when they were stopped by an elderly lady (you knew it would be) on the path who commented on their unlikely footwear.

When will they learn?


Craig had the quote of the day after hiking (yes in flip-flops) to the Timber Creek Outlook.

"I actually think the view is just as good from the parking lot."


Now that A doesn't live in Cedar City anymore the only reason to go there is to see the Shakespearean Festival (and our friends the K's) - particularly since the Sonic is closed. It is embarrassing to admit that we actually drove there just for the Sonic - sometimes you just need a Route 44 Diet Coke with extra ice and vanilla flavoring. Unfortunately we had not been notified that the Sonic was closed :(