Thursday, November 09, 2006

Sing....sing a song...




Emily had a "uniform check" in anticipation of her CCW Christmas concert. It was so fun to see everyone at the rehearsal in uniform. They continue to sound wonderful - and I'm not just saying that because I'm the mom. I was listening to their rehearsal and was amazed at how quickly they picked up the harmonies and new languages. Their conductor seems to have achieved the perfect balance for working with children - fun but has complete control. They actually rehearse a fair amount of the time by singing acappella - I'm amazed at how well they do. The adult choirs I have sung with always struggle singing without the piano and it is amazing that this choir does it without even thinking about it. We can't wait until December to hear them in concert.
Emily enjoys the rehearsals and we have some great car time together during the commute. We drive about 45 minutes to get there and it takes about an hour to get home depending on traffic (DC rush hour). We enjoy our "alone time" to visit and she almost always has all of her homework completed by the time we get home. Over the years, my children have completed a lot of homework in places other than at a desk or at the kitchen table. Lots of homework has been done between rehearsals, in the car, while waiting for another sibling in the waiting room of a variety of places, etc. I like to think I'm helping them to become good at being flexible and thinking "outside of the box"!