Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Book and A Theme


There are two things that I have been meaning to post for a couple of days - Dana's post about her theme for this year "Run With It" was an additional reminder that I wanted to get these two things down on paper (not sure if that phrase fits, given the technology at hand but I think you understand).

During December, our book group read A Heart Like His: Making Space for God's Love in Your Life by Virginia H. Pierce. This book was different than anything else we have read because it was church-related - in the six years that I have been meeting monthly with this group we fairly consistently stayed away from anything "religious" in nature (although we have found lots of "religion" in much of what we have read.

But I digress, I suggested the book several months ago because of some of the experiences that I had after being introduced to this book last spring when we were visited by some of Craig's cousins. Tene had finished it during the trip and asked if I would like to read it. I found it to be a very quick read (it is short and the book itself is small). But long after I was finished reading, I found myself thinking about it. It truly gave me much to contemplate - I suggested it for book group because I thought it would initiate an interesting discussion, which it did. I highly recommend it. (I was excited to hear that our entire RS is trying to read it and hoping to talk about it during February Enrichment).

The two things that really struck me while reading were:
1) This book isn't about adding any more "things-to-do" onto our already overwhelming "to-do" lists.
2) This book isn't so much about doing as becoming.

I love the focus on the concept of BECOMING rather than just "doing". I have to admit, sometimes the "doing" feels like going through the motions to me some days. This leads me to the second thing I wanted to post. I've been toying with the idea of having a theme for myself this year and I was thinking about "be more...." (I heard the phrase on a commercial - for what, I have no idea) but it stuck with me. However the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of BECOMING! Becoming kinder, becoming creative, becoming patient, etc. rather than just trying to be more kind, be more creative, be more patient....

Perhaps some would argue it is merely semantics but BECOMING feels different to me - and since it is my theme, I am going to BECOME!